Technician, extremely difficult, with rather complex curves and disconnects. This, and much more, is the legendary Enzo and Dino Ferrari International Circuit of Imola!
The laying of the first stone of the Imola circuit took place on March 22, 1950. After just over two years, and 150,000 hours of work, the first test was carried out. The official inauguration took place on April 25, 1953 with a motorcycle race. Motoring made its debut in Imola on June 20, 1954 with the «Shell Gold Cup», an international event for Sport cars.
The racetrack entered the calendars of many car and motorcycle categories, especially with regard to endurance races, with 1000 kilometers of motoring and 200 miles of motorcycling.
In 1979, with the completion of the plant and the elimination of the sections used for urban roads, the circuit became permanent and, on 16 September, with the untitled “Grand Prix Dino Ferrari”, the new era of Formula 1 for Imola began.
On September 14, 1980, the racetrack hosted its first Formula 1 race valid for the world title, the 51st Italian Grand Prix. From the following year, the Romagna track became the home of the San Marino Grand Prix.
Here are some of the legendary races that took place on the Santerno track.